Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Coral Fungi

One day a couple of years ago on a gravel road somewhere between Chepstow and the Greenock Swamp, I got a flat tire in a rental vehicle.  As it turns out Enterprise forgot to to leave me a spare tire so I booked it to Walkerton.  By the time I arrived at a garage I wasn't quite on the rim, but about as close as you could get.  What does that have to do with this picture?  Nothing, other than after I got the tire changed I found this coral fungi in a forest near the Greenock Swamp.

It's called violet coral fungus (Clavaria zollingeri).  It grows in forests with rich leaf litter and mosses.  In North America this species is restricted to the northeast, but it's also found in Australia, New Zealand, South America and Asia.


No comments:

Post a Comment