Thursday, July 2, 2015

Bug-free Botany

I have been out to the rare Charitable Research Reserve in Cambridge a few times this spring summer, partly for work, partly because it's a favourite spot for a weekend stroll. 

Last weekend I decided to explore the Hogsback, an area that's predominantly a mixed wood organic swamp.  The photo below is of Cruickston Creek which eventually feeds into the Grand River.  The Skunk Cabbage seen in the bottom left of the photo dominates the groundcover.  What really surprised me after spending the better part of a day in and among the swamp was the limited number of mosquitoes.  Having just returned from field work in Sault Ste. Marie today I can appreciate those special bug-free days.

A relative of Wild Sarsaparilla, Spikenard (Aralia racemosa) occurs sporadically.  The spread of the foliage on these plants can reach over 1m in diameter, almost resembling a small shrub.

Back in April I posted about finding a population of Chinese Hemlock Parsley (Conioselinum chinense) in south Kitchener.  The Hogsback, which is maybe 5km to the south of that site, contains thousands of individuals.  Chinese Hemlock Parsley is listed provincially as S2 (very rare).  The basal leaves can be found growing in and among the glades of Skunk Cabbage and later in the summer the umbel of white flowers typical of the Apiacea family will poke above the Skunk Cabbage leaves.

Always nice to catch this one in bloom, Poke Milkweed (Asclepias exaltata).  This is one of the few, (the only?) of Ontario's milkweed species which grows in woodlands and not in meadows or prairie.  It's one of those species that always gets my attention and usually suggests that you're into some pretty nice habitat.  I recently picked up a couple of plugs from Nith River Native Plant Nursery and they seem to be doing well in my backyard garden. 

Partridgeberry (Mitchella repens) is easily overlooked as it barely exceeds 5cm in height.  The flowers of this patch stuck out among the mossy hummocks i the swamp.

Canopy openings in the swamp allow the showy Blueflag Iris (Iris versicolor) to flourish.  Admittedly whenever I have a camera in hand, it's hard to pass by a blooming Blueflag.

After what seemed like an endless expanse of swamp I came upon an upland ridge with a canopy of Sugar Maple, American Beech and White Oak.  White Oak isn't all too common in Waterloo Region and reflecting drier soils, other goodies were to be had including Pointed-leaved Tick Trefoil (Desmodium glutinosum), seen in the photo below.

On occasion I stumble upon a deer antler, but never have I encountered a set.  I may or may not have snuck up on Alyssa with these antlers held to my head.

There is an abundance of butterflies on the property, to date I believe 70 species have been documented on the rare CRR.  This worn Eastern Comma sat still briefly.  The 10th annual rare CRR butterfly count will be held on July 11th.  I've already committed to participating in the Ojibway Prairie Bioblitz but I'd encourage any readers to head out to rare and enjoy a day of hunting for butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment