Sunday, July 26, 2015

Cooling off at Pinehurst Lake CA

Today Alyssa and I went for a swim/hike at Pinehurst Lake CA, a nice GRCA-owned spot between Ayr and Glen Morris.  Alyssa swam out toward the middle of the lake, I treaded water among the Ceratophyllum and Nuphar, fun!

We went for a hike along the Morton Trail which passes through a mix of cool season grass meadow, regenerating thicket and a good chunk of dry-fresh forest with some impressive Red Oak, White Oak and White Pine.

Standing atop a bench at a high point to get a better view, I looked down and saw this Sand Wasp (Ammophila sp.) working away meticulously on this nest.  Strangely, Ammophila is also the genus name for Marram Grass or Beachgrass. The Greek 'Ammos' means sand.

I'm trying to put a new ID guide purchase  to work, and I come up with what I think is Two-spotted Bumblebee (Bombus bimaculatus) on what I know is Scoch Thistle (Onopordum acanthium).  North and South Dumfries Townships had a fair number of Scottish settlers arriving in the early-mid 1800's and I've been told that this species of thistle was brought over to remind them of home.

One of the species that always perks my interest as a bit of a diversity indicator in dry oak forests in the area, Pointed-leaved Tick Trefoil (Desmodium glutinosum).


A total of 5 Monarchs on the day was the most I've seen in a day this year, so far.

A couple of Red-spotted Purple fed on the Wild Carrot.

Milbert's Tortoiseshell, one of my favourite butterflies.

From the beach to the meadows to the wetlands, Pinehurst was rife with odonates.  Not sure what I'm looking at here. [Edit: Thanks to Reuven for calling it, Band-winged Meadowhawk (Sympetrum semicinctum)].

 Carrion-flower (Smilax herbacea).  As the name suggests, this plant produces a fetid odour when in bloom which attracts flies and bees which in turn facilitates it's pollination.

The glaucous stem can help in identifying this species.

Some bushwacking to check out a wetland involved carefully side-stepping Wood Frogs and American Toads.

Stay on the trail!

A neat clearing dominated by Cow Wheat (Melampyrum lineare) had a few Indian Pipe (Monotropa uniflora) poking up.


 It had probably been awhile since this Green Frog had seen somebody 'walk the plank' in the photo above.

Some butterflies are looking worse for wear including this Eastern Comma and especially the Northern Pearly Eye.


Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) at the edge of the kettle lake.

A dense colony of Reed Manna Grass (Glyceria grandis).

A member of the Campanulacea family, Indian Tobacco (Lobelia inflata).  The seed pods take the form of small inflated sacs when mature.

I spotted one or two Pale Vetchling (Lathyrus ochroleucus) at the base of this White Oak.

 A female Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa).

Between the nice hike and the cool-down swim, I just may have to pick up a GRCA pass for next year!

7 comments:

  1. The unidentified dragonfly is a Band-winged Meadowhawk (Sympetrum semicinctum)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet, thanks Reuven, I'll make an edit on that.

      Delete
  2. Nice variety of shots Pat! The bumble bee is an interesting one, I see two full yellow abdominal segments followed by black followed by some yellow. I believe it is one of the parasitic species but can't tell which from the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Eastern Comma looks more like a Gray Comma to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye Alan, I had another look and can see the Gray Comma. Is the lighter colouration at the base of the hind wing diagnostic between the two?

      Delete