Wednesday, December 23, 2015

A Misty Morning Surprise

I spent this morning doing some surveys for work at a site in Kitchener.  I've read of a few recent herp sightings and we're still getting Spring Peeper calling here, I also saw a group of about 20 Northern Leopard Frogs jumping about in a seep pool, crazy!  In about 24 hours I'll be leaving cookies and milk out for Santa!

While my maps and notes haven't fared well with the on and off rain the last few days, today was just misty, calm and made for an enjoyable day outside for my last day at work before the break.  Here are a few photos.

Beaver definitely have a stronghold on this tributary, one dam was about 50m across and 1-2m high, pretty impressive by southern Ontario standards.

A nice patch of what is probably Eastern Star Sedge (Carex radiata).



Passing through a dense stand of conifers I heard a chirpy barking coming form the adjacent agricultural field, I popped my head out and low and behold this Coyote was giving us a stare.  I say Coyote, but I know there is much debate on Coyote-Wolf hybridity (Canis latrans x Canis lupus), maybe even add domestic dogs.  The Nature of Things did an episode on the matter, you can watch it here.  If David Suzuki documentaries aren't your thing, there's always the 1991 Hollywood hit starring Ethan Hawke White Fang based on the book of the same title by Jack London.

Frozen for a moment, it soon sat down and scratched itself, cleaned itself and was pretty content to just hang out in the field watching us.  After 5 minutes we went back into the trees and heard it continue it's chattering barks and yips.  A real unexpected treat here in Kitchener.

1 comment:

  1. Nice shots of the Coyote Pat! I also love that movie White Fang haha.

    ReplyDelete